Communications and Member Relations Director
DataCite is seeking a passionate and experienced person to lead our communication and member relations activities. If you are interested in being part of a dynamic team and in shaping open research, join us in building out a communications program for DataCite.
About the position
DataCite’s Communications and Member Relations Director will lead communication, outreach, support and training efforts for the DataCite community and the Horizon 2020 Freya, Make Data Count, and the NIH Data Commons projects. The Director will work with a diverse community of researchers, data centers, libraries, publishers, and research funders to promote the uptake of DataCite services for data sharing and citation. This is achieved by providing multi-faceted outreach, communication, support, and training activities for a diverse community of users. Overall responsibilities include development of communication, member outreach and support, and community engagement program in order to increase DataCite membership, adoption of our services, and collaborative relationships.
DataCite was founded in 2009 to support researchers by enabling them to identify, locate, access and cite research datasets with confidence. By providing persistent identification for data, DataCite offers the means to connect a published article with the underlying data. In addition, DataCite:
- provides a way for researchers to share and get credit for the datasets they generate;
- enables easier access to research data;
- supports the development of new services;
- facilitates access to data not linked to a particular publication;
- increases acceptance of research data as legitimate, citable contributions to the scholarly record;
- supports data archiving, permitting results to be verified and re-purposed for future study.
Please send a resume and statement of interest to Patricia Cruse by March 5, 2018. Please don’t hesitate to contact Patricia Cruse with any questions.
Communications and Outreach
Develop and implement a communications strategy that includes continuous interactions with DataCite’s diverse and geographically dispersed community to increase their awareness and understanding of DataCite and its benefits. These activities include:
- Develop and implement DataCite’s communications strategy including communications campaigns for funded projects, collaborative initiatives, and specific communities
- Develop DataCite’s messaging for a variety of uses and stakeholder communities
- Develop and manage the means for two-way communication with the member community, including the development of user-friendly newsletters and updates
- Work with the Product Manager to develop the means to monitor, track, evaluate, and report on the uptake, feedback and use of DataCite services with the goal of improving our communication and services
- Manage and augment DataCite’s website, proposing and adding content to drive user uptake
- Develop and manage DataCite’s social media activities, including DataCite’s blog, twitter account, and potentially other social media sources
- Create marketing material and collateral and identify the channels for distribution
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and implement the annual membership meeting and conferences relevant for the DataCite community including PIDapalooza, Research Data Alliance, etc.
Member and User Support
Oversee the development of quality support services for DataCite members (new and existing) to ensure that their needs are being met and they understand the vision and mission of the organization. This activity includes: Work with the Product Manager and the development team to understand DataCite’s products and services and develop and implement training and communication activities for members – including webinars, presentations, reusable collateral, and education and outreach resources.
- Work with the Product Manager and Technical Director to identify new products and service offerings
- Develop, implement, and oversee a new-member on-boarding strategy
- Oversee the help-desk and develop processes for efficiently responding to the community
- Oversee and further develop DataCite’s support site, evaluating the need for new materials and modification of existing, with the aim of making members successful and self-sufficient
- Develop and implement member support strategies for specific communities
- Supervise the Product Manager and Member Support Specialist (to be hired)
- Work with a diverse team and contribute to an environment of openness and creativity
- Prepare for and participate in Executive Board meetings
- Work with the Executive and Technical Directors and the Executive Board to develop and implement DataCite’s strategic plan
- Passionate about open research
- Experience in the scholarly community (library, publisher, research center, data repository, etc.)
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Highly collaborative style with experience developing and implementing communications strategies with a focus on building virtual communities
- A strong track record as an implementer who is able to manage a variety of initiatives simultaneously
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Commitment to working collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, DataCite members, board members, collaborators, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives