DataCite, a global non-profit organization that provides persistent identifiers (DOIs) for research data, is looking for new members to join our Executive Board.
Our goal is to help the research community locate, identify, and cite research data with confidence. The Executive Board is critical to achieving this goal, supporting the DataCite staff in executing the vision of the organization. Individuals affiliated with DataCite member organizations are encouraged to apply. The current Executive Board will prepare a candidate slate representing organization diversity and balanced skills sets. The General Assembly will formally elect the Board in April 2017 and successful candidates will take office in March 2018. Board members will serve two-year terms.
The process is simple. An application form asks for a few paragraphs with your vision for DataCite and how you can personally contribute your skills and experience.
Criteria and frequently asked questions
DataCite Executive Board’s election process is determined by the DataCite Statutes. Below are several frequently asked questions that will help you understand the process.
1. How long is the DataCite Board term?
2-years from point of election or ratification by the General Assembly.
2. Who is eligible to be a Board member?
Individuals affiliated with any DataCite member institutions.
3. What makes an effective DataCite Executive Board?
- Board Members with an understanding and a passion for data sharing and a clear vision of DataCite’s role in current research environments
- Members that are open and can communicate clearly, listen, and learn from others
- Members that have time to participate fully in DataCite activities
- Previous experience at Board level
- Diversity – broad geographic representation, a range of institution types (national, academic, research organization, commercial), and a range of skills (operations, planning, financial, data services, technical, policy)
4. What does the DataCite Executive Board do?
- In partnership with member organizations, create DataCite’s strategic activities
- Support the DataCite Executive Director and staff in delivering the DataCite objectives
- Work with DataCite Executive Director and staff to prepare and convene the General Assembly
- Appoint working groups
- Prepare an annual budget, and authorize possible additional expenditures
- Represent DataCite and more!
5. How much time does this take?
The Board meets monthly for 60-90 minutes online. In addition, it typically meets face-to-face twice a year, at least once combined with the General Assembly. Ad hoc groups may meet in addition to this. The President and Treasurer, which are elected from Board members, spend considerable additional time on DataCite matters.
6. How much are Board members paid?
Board members are not compensated for their contributions to DataCite. Costs (including travel to meetings) must be covered by their home institutions.
7. How do I apply?
Simply fill out the application form by March 15, 2018.
8. When will the new term begin?
New board terms will begin after confirmation by the General Assembly in March 2018.